- Highly Accurate GNSS operation
- Accuracy, Embedded Extended Ephemeris, for faster TTFF, direct to battery, low power.
SiRFstarV™ 5e is a complete navigation processor built on a low-power RF CMOS single-die, incorporating the baseband, integrated navigation solution, software, ARM7 processor, and RF functions that form a complete internal ROM-based standalone or Aided-GPS engine
SiRFstarV™ 5e is a Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) engine optimised to enable highly accurate location positioning for devices including mobile phones, cameras, and health and fitness products. By supporting fully concurrent GLONASS, GPS, QZSS and SBAS from ROM, the highest accuracy and fastest time-to-first-fix (TTFF) are ensured.
SiRFstarV™ 5e is offered in a size optimal 0.4mm pitch Wafer Level Chip Scale Package (WLCSP) and a 0.5mm pitch Ball Grid Array (BGA) for low cost PCB applications.
SiRFstarV 5e offers a range of features to increase accuracy, improve time to first fix and preserve battery power to enable a better user experience. These include:
- InstantFixTM Extended Ephemeris (EE) - Devices without wireless connectivity, such as cameras, are able to overcome slow TTFF, a common annoyance for the end user. 5e is capable of autonomously forward predicting EE for three days locally, and for connected devices the solution supports server based EE for up to 31 day for GPS and up to 14 day GLONASS EE
- Direct to battery capability - The GNSS chip can connect directly to a Lithium battery supply, enabling system cost reduction and increased power efficiency. This is implemented by an integrated switched PMU, reducing system level power and eBOM costs
- Design flexibility for optimal solution cost – With clear attention to solution implementation, 5e is designed for small size and low power. For example, UART and SPI Flash drive levels are drivable from 1.8v to 3.3v, eliminating the need for level shifters and increasing implementation flexibility
- Intelligent design – The 5e is designed to be optimised for low power battery operated devices. For instance, in asset tracking applications, the 5e engine will intelligently decide how long to try to acquire satellite signal based around its environment, saving a significant amount of battery power